Student Blogging Challenge: Week 7

I love Christmas! My family is 100% Polish. My whole family lives in Poland except my parents and my sister. We celebrate Christmas with fun Polish traditions every year. We have 12 dishes because there are 12 months in a year, we eat when the first star appears on the sky, we leave an empty plate so that we can welcome anyone, and we share an opwatek. An opwatek is a wafer that we share and wish we have a happy Christmas. The dishes my family eats is pierogies which are dumplings filled with meat or mushrooms and cubbage, barszcz which is beat soup, and homemade apple pie. My family does this every year and we will pass it on to the next generation.

8 thoughts on “Student Blogging Challenge: Week 7

1. The things you do on Christmas is very cool and the food that you described sounds very good and it seems that your family has a lot of fun but unlike your family my family doesn’t really do anything so you are luck at least to me.

2. Julia, thank you for telling us all about your Christmas traditions! They sound very special, and I wish our whole class could come over to your house to try those wonderful things. I especially like that idea of leaving an empty plate so you can welcome anyone. That is so hospitable.

Are there Polish traditions for other holidays too? I don’t know anything about them, so I loved reading your post to learn.

My family is mainly German in background. Homemade apple pie has always been a part of our holiday meals as well, mainly because when my great-grandparents came over from Germany, they started a bakery and a big farm with an apple orchard.

Keep up the interesting posts!
    ~Miss Blessing
    #STUBC commenter
    Vermont, USA

• Hi Miss Blessing,
      Thanks for commenting on my post! There are a lot of other Polish traditions. One of them is blessing an Easter basket on Easter Saturday. We put bread, ham, decorated eggs, normal eggs, palms, sausage, and cheese in our baskets. After they are blessed, we eat the yummy food. Homemade German apple pie sounds so good! Thanks for reading my post!
      Julia

• Hi Isaiah,
      Thanks for commenting on my blog! I love Christmas. Opwatek is really good. Sometimes I just shove it in my mouth on Christmas if there are leftovers😂. My favorite Polish food is beet soup with dumplings. The dumplings are filled with meat and they taste so good! Thanks for reading my post!

3. DearJulia,
    That’s really interesting! My family lives in America. What we do for Christmas is we invite all of our family and make a big Thanksgiving-like dinner. We have also have this funny tradition were we open one present , because my familyi very impatient. 🙂
    ~Amelia M.